Ways to improve MHU
Utilize Twitter more
- Received over 100 followers last week alone – when I worked on sorting through contacts, and adding “lists”
- Show Erin how to use “lists”
- Contact people through Twitter – make “connections” with fellow bloggers, make up artists, brands, etc.
- Maybe do a weekly Twitter roundup?
- Twitter can be very beneficial – need to work on using it more!
Better quality pictures
- If good quality pictures aren’t sent with the email, email the sender asking for better quality pics.
- If sender doesn’t have better pictures, google product.
- Pictures can’t be any larger than 565. Make sure Erin has a good photo-resizer…
Features for site?
- Using Twitter, try and connect with makeup artists – see if they’d be willing to submit “How-To” articles – in exchange for link back, etc. Once a week or so – try and get a makeup artist perspective? Maybe their current favorite product…current favorite technique…current favorite “fad”
- Once a month we should announce the new products that launched that month – or at least the ones that stand out to us as good finds.
- Might consider using a newsletter. Have to look into it – may be some cost, but it might be worth it.
- Maybe start adding Fashion content?
- Talk about posts-per-day. Are we happy with the amount of posts being done?
Proofing posts before publishing
- Before clicking “Publish” – really need to re-read the post, and make sure everything is correct.
- Make sure pictures aren’t linked – etc
- Make sure no content is ever pasted into “Visual”. All content should be pasted into “HTML”
Need to clean up sidebar
- Sidebar is one big mess…needs to be cleaned up
- Update brand list – remove brands not used very often, add new brands that have come up.
- Email subscriptions function not working – need to look into that
- At some point, we’re going to need a re-design, or clean it up so it looks nice
Make content more personal
- Add more personal content rather than copy/paste. (Mostly referring to myself here – I’m the queen of copy/paste)
- Try an include more personal stories – personal touch to each post
- Try to include product pictures we take ourselves. I’ve noticed this on other beauty sites – the writers taking pictures of themselves wearing the product. Makeup/nail polish. This might make the connection to us stronger – more personal…