“Liquid liner is totally easy, fun to use, and always looks super-good!” said no one, ever. Except for, maybe, Jillian Dempsey, who’s been a professional makeup artist for over 20 years and spent enough time in Paris in the early ’90s to know her way around a sultry cat eye. “Liquid liner is one of those products that women are attracted to, but they fear a crooked line,” said Dempsey. “I wanted to simplify the application because it’s a look that a lot of women can have fun with, and that is universally flattering and classic.” Check out the video above, where she shows us the easiest trick I have ever seen for applying liquid liner.
Archive: How To
Strut those city side walks with all the trimmings this year! TRESemmé Celebrity Stylist, John D. gives you his tips to getting glamorous this Holiday season with these three easy celebrity looks!
1. To get Leslie’s modern top knot, start with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Blow Dry Lotion to provide long-lasting body
2. Roughly blow dry hair to add texture, curl with a 1-inch barrel curling iron and secure into a high ponytail at the crown
3. Back comb the ponytail and twist hair into a loose top knot, securing with pins
Side Swept Waves
1. To recreate Maya’s salon gorgeous style, spray each section with TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Non-Aerosol Spray for volume and hold
2. Use a small barrel curling iron for a strong curl pattern, and curl small sections, gently pulling on each strand to loosen the curl
3. Once completely curled, create a deep side part and pull hair over one shoulder
4. Gently brush through to create smooth waves and fasten with bobby pins at the nape of the neck to secure the style and spray TRESemmé 24 Hour Body Non-Aerosol Hair Spray again to lock the style in place
1. To recreate Selena’s faux bob, curl 1-2 inch sections of hair with a medium barrel iron
2. The secret to make this style last is to allow the curls to set by securing each wound up curl at the root with bobby pins. This lets the curls cool while taking shape
3. Spray hair with TRESemmé TRES Two Non-Aerosol Hair Spray for a touchable look that will last
Illamasqua US Nail Art Ambassador Fleury Rose created three easy DIY nail art designs to get your talons ready for the most creative holiday there is. Featuring Illamasqua’s highly pigmented, long-wearing Nail Varnishes, these designs will have you counting down the days to October 31st one perfectly manicured finger at a time.
Illamasqua products used: Nail Varnish in Scorn, Scorch and Serenity (top coat optional)
Tools needed- Dotting tool, tooth pick
1. After applying base coat, paint nails with two coats of Scorn black matte polish. Allow nails to dry for 3-5 minutes
2. Pour out a small amount of scorch onto tin foil. Dip the large end of a dotting tool into white polish and dot onto nail. Repeat step 3 times on each nail.
(Pro tip: if polish gets stringy, pour a fresh puddle of Scorn onto foil and continue process.) Allow white dots to dry 3-5 minutes.
3. Pour a small puddle of Serenity onto foil. With the small end of a dotting tool dip into rubber blue polish and dot in the very center of each white circle. Repeat on each nail. Allow to dry 3-5 minutes
4. Dip the point of a tooth pick into Scorn and gently dot a tiny black point into the center of each eye.
5. After drying add optional top coat for a shiny finish, or stay matte.
Illamasqua products used: Nail Varnish in Aorta and Boosh, Precision ink in Scribe
Tools needed- small brush
1. After applying Base coat, paint nails with two coats of Aorta and let dry 3-5 minutes
2. Dip small brush in Boosh, and paint a tiny triangle at the top of the nail. This will create the bow of the lips.
3. Next, paint an oval shape in the center of the red nail to create the opening of the mouth.
4. Allow to dry for 5 minutes (Pro tip: Allowing polish to dry before drawing on nail is very important, or you may smudge the whole thing and ruin your design!)
5. Draw on fangs and lip highlight with Precision ink in Scribe. Precision ink can be layered over its-self to create desired opacity of white.
6. Allow precision ink to dry 3-5 minutes and apply Top Coat.
Illamasqua products used: Nail Varnish in Phallic, DWS, Scorch and Blow
Tools needed- Small brush, disposable makeup sponge
1. After applying Base Coat, Apply one thick coat of Phallic. (Pro tip: Do not worry about getting this layer completely even, it will add dimension to the sky we are creating!)
2. Allow this layer to dry 3-5 minutes. Dip the small brush in Blow and create a tiny crescent moon. Next dot on very tiny stars with the tip of the brush.
3. Allow to dry at least 5 minutes.
4. Pour out a small puddle of Scorch, then a small puddle of DWS next to it so they are touching.
5. Dip the corner of your makeup sponge into the polish so you get a little of each color on the sponge. Gently dab on clouds.
6. Allow to dry 3-5 minutes, and apply Top Coat.
Ahh, Halloween…a modern-day excuse to dress like your favorite alter ego. Compliment your doppelgänger this season with standout make-up looks that are fabulously monstrous, dramatic and scary…in a good way.
Although vampires and zombies are always trending, impersonate some fresh characters inspired from this year’s hottest movies. Sean Conklin, lead make-up artist at Make-up Designory (MUD) provides expert tips that’ll leave you looking like a striking queen not a repulsive maiden.
Queen Ravenna from Snow White and the Huntsman -
The fairest one of all! Recreate her enchanted look here with these easy steps:
Face: For longer-lasting make-up, evenly apply MUD’s Face Primer with a sponge or Brush 940. Next, sweep the HD Air Foundation on the entire face with a sponge or Brush 940 for an ageless appearance. To reduce the reflection on the skin, lightly dust the Loose Powder with the 510 Fan Brush.
Eyes: Queen Ravenna’s eye treatment is soft and subtle. To achieve a rich, long-lasting brow suitable for a queen, transfer the Taupe Eye Pencil onto Brush 210. Follow the natural direction of the hair to fill in the brow. To recreate the soft smoky eye, use the Taupe Eye Color with Brush 810 to completely fill in the top lid and on the outer corner of the lower lash line. Blend the hard edge with Brush 800 and drag the color outward in a wing like upward fashion. Be sure not to droop the outer corner down. Blend the lower lash line with Brush 800 to finish the smoky look. For definition, follow the upper lash line with the Black Cake Liner and Brush 100. Finish with a couple coats of Volumizing Mascara.
Cheeks: Use the Soft Peach Cheek Color to give the illusion of a softer appearance and an overall glow. With Brush 510, apply from the hairline and dust a light application downward to magically soften the shape. Next, lightly dust on the apples of the cheeks.
Lips: To complete the soft, subtle, bewitching recreation of Queen Ravenna, conjure a mixture of Rose Clay and Just Peachy Lipstick. Apply to the lips with Brush 310 and you’ll be appointed fairest one of all.
You can find all the products used to create your own Queen Ravenna look at www.mudshop.com.