You Can Do: Red Lips
Like the perfect leopard-print stiletto, an amazing red lipstick can transform even the most basic black dress into something startlingly chic. Case in point: Despite some stiff competition from her ambitious right leg, Angelina Jolie’s red lips won us over at the Oscars.
The Basic Tips
• Ditch the chapped lips! For a pitch-perfect crimson like Rihanna’s, exfoliate lips with a wet washcloth, followed by a dab of lip balm.
• Fill in with a liner that matches the natural color of your lips—not the lipstick.
• Apply color with a tiny brush, starting at the center of your mouth and blending outward.
The Basic Products
• Available in four versatile shades, The Nude Liner by Smashbox ($17 each; sephora.com) is easy to blend, and lasts for hours.
• A blue-based crimson like MAC’s Red ($15; maccosmetics.com) brightens up your smile, and neutralizes any discoloration on your teeth with its cool undertones.
• MAC’s 318 Retractable Lip Brush ($23; maccosmetics.com) creates a seamless finish, and thanks to its compact size, is perfect for touch-ups on the go.
I’m scared it will look too harsh.
If a full-on red is too much commitment for you, try out a lip stain instead like YSL’s Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain in Orange de Chine ($32; yslbeautyus.com). Just dab a bit of it on the inside center of your lips, then smack them together. The effect is subtle, rosy, and youthful—like you’ve just finished a cherry Popsicle.
What eye makeup do I pair with it?
Although a statement lip works best with minimal eye makeup, that doesn’t mean you have to swear off shadows altogether. Unless you want to channel an ’80s revival, steer clear of bright shades, and stick to sheer neutrals