Gifts by you = more love, less spending!
How long is your ‘nice’ list this year? We bet you’re all for showing your friends and family how much you love them around the holidays, but who really has the money for that? Specially for the beauty product junkie on your list, simply whip up these at-home treatments for fruity lip-gloss, candy cane bath salts and more. Grab a bowl and mix ‘em together with basic ingredients that are most likely in your home right now.
Check out these great DIY recipes and more great holiday ideas at www.self.com
SELF Magazine DIY Holiday Beauty
Pom Lip Gloss
We seriously had to resist eating this fruity gloss, and the crimson tint lasts longer than some store-bought stains. The perfect gift for cubemates.
• 1/2 cup petroleum jelly
• 1 scoop or 2 packets Natural Cherry Pomegranate Crystal Light
• 3 or 4 small jars or tins with lids
Mix petroleum jelly and Crystal Light in a bowl, adding 1 tsp water a few drops at a time, until gloss turns berry red. Use a spatula to smooth the formula into jars.
Candy Cane Bath Salts
Win over his mom with this sweet calorie-free treat.• 2 cups Epsom salts
• 1 cup sea salt
• 4 or 5 drops peppermint essential oil
• 4 or 5 drops red food coloring
• 1 apothecary jarIn a bowl, combine salts and oil. Spoon out half into another bowl; stir in food coloring until salt turns red. (Don’t worry, it won’t dye skin or tub.) Scoop a layer of white salt into jar. Smooth along the diagonal, then repeat with red salt until jar is full and looks like a candy cane. Tie on a scoop—you’ll use about 1/4 cup per bath—with a ribbon, if desired.
Peppermint Foot Scrub
For the stiletto addict on your list. Both salicylic acid (in the berries) and sugar exfoliate; oils soften; peppermint stimulates—like caffeine for feet!
• 4 strawberries
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tbsp vegetable oil
• 8 drops peppermint essential oil
• 1 decorative jar
Make this the night before gifting it—it’s perishable after 2 weeks because of the fresh fruit. In a bowl, puree or mash berries, then add sugar and olive and vegetable oils. Mix until well blended. Add peppermint oil 2 drops at a time until scrub smells minty. Spoon into jar, then stash in the fridge. Write the expiration date on a card.
Vanilla-Clove Body-Oil Spray
Turn single pals into man magnets with this prezzie: Vanilla stirs up feelings of intimacy, experts say. And the oil makes skin silky.
• 1/2 cup walnut, almond or jojoba oil
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 5 drops clove oil
• 1 small spray bottle
It doesn’t get easier than this: Pour ingredients into a spray bottle, shake and you’re ready to mist.
Recipes developed by Erika Katz, author of Bonding Over Beauty