Dontcha just LOVE oatmeal? The health benefits seem to be endless!
- They are full of fiber – which helps lower cholesterol.
- They are FULL of healthy minerals.
- They are low in calories.
- They reduce the risk of coronary artery disease.
- They reduce the risk of colorectal cancer.
- They lower blood pressure.
And that’s just what’s on the INSIDE!
Here are five ways to reap the beauty benefits of oatmeal:
- Bath soak: For a truly relaxing bath, pour a cup of plain oatmeal into your tub as it fills up with warm water. Then add a few drops of lavender oil or a pinch of dried lavender. Soak in this aromatherapy solution for 15 to 30 minutes. The oatmeal will cleanse your skin and lock in moisture, while the lavender produces a calming, soothing scent.
- Itchy skin remedy: According to the American Academy of Dermatology, “itchy, dry skin often has a high pH level, but oatmeal can help normalize your skin’s pH, which can relieve itchy, uncomfortable skin. Oatmeal baths also soften and moisturize your skin, which helps lock in moisture and protect skin from exterior irritants.”
- Face wash: Oatmeal contains chemicals known as saponins that are characterized by their intense cleansing properties. Saponins are commonly added to shampoos and detergents for it’s emulsifying and foaming abilities that create a rich lather. Dr. Stuart believes this makes oatmeal ideal to use as a face mask, cleanser or soap for every skin type, especially sensitive skin. For a simple homemade recipe, mix whole oatmeal with warm water into a paste and add a teaspoon of honey. Rub the cleanser onto your skin in circular motions to cleanse face. The antibacterial action of honeywill also help to relieve inflamed skin and alleviate dryness.
- Exfoliator treatment: If over-the-counter scrubs tend to leave your skin raw and red, try exfoliating with a do-it-yourself treatment with blended colloidal oatmeal, coconut oil, brown sugar and lukewarm water. You’ll get the same cleansing and buffering properties without all the unnecessary harshness. Plus, the coconut oil will give your skin a healthy-looking glow.
- Dry shampoo: Just as oatmeal works wonders at removing excess dirt and debris from the body, it can also help to reduce the appearance of dirty hair. Blondes can brush through a light dusting of finely ground oats throughout their strands to soak up excess oils. Your homemade oatmeal dry shampoo will also help to relieve an itchy scalp.
Good thing Aveeno is here to provide all the amazing beauty benefits of oatmeal!!
Did you know that October 29th is National Oatmeal Day? In collaboration with Aveeno as an Ambassador, they provided me with this gorgeous Mochila Bag – and a bunch of goodies! #AveenoLovesOat!
How gorgeous is this hand-woven bag?
Inside my Mochila bag was a bunch of Aveeno Goodies! I have their Daily Moisturizing Lotion – which is AMAZING. I’m super excited to try their soothing bath treatment which uses 100% natural oatmeal for soothing aching skin. I can’t wait to use it next time my son comes home from playing a long football game!
They also sent along a MixMyOwn.com oatmeal, in Aveeno’s special blend! YUM! I had never checked out MixMyOwn.com before – what a cool site! Go check it out!
What is your favorite oatmeal product? Hashtag your answers to #AveenoLovesOat!
Disclosure: I was not paid for this post – the products were sent for review purposes only. Opinions here are 100% my own.