BEHIND THE LOOK: BROOKE BURKE-CHARVET on NEW YOU magazine’s Spring 2014 cover on newsstands now
Celebrity makeup artist Spencer Barnes and hair stylist Paul Norton explain the natural, fresh Spring look they created for the Dancing with the Stars host
“For this look I was inspired by Brooke’s radiant personality. Brooke is warm, light-hearted, playful and kind. So I wanted her look to be fresh – yet defined. I played up her natural beauty by choosing colors that were more neutral and complimented her complexion.” – Spencer Barnes for Solo Artists. Spencer’s clients include Amy Adams, Amber Heard, Jessica Biel and Olivia Wilde.
A prominent Spring makeup trend, natural and nude faces softened up the Spring 2014 runways at shows including Alexander Wang, Balmain, Jean Paul Gaultier and Chloé. A neutral look allows for the clothes – and the woman – to take center stage.
HOW TO GET THE LOOK: HAIR
“Brooke’s look for her cover shoot was intended to look healthy and shiny. First, I applied Oribe Gandioes hair plumping mousse to dampened hair and tousled dry also using a medium sized round brush to round out the ends of the hair. I then took a couple of random sections throughout the hair and with a 1 1/4 inch curling iron bent the hair back away from the face and I then used Oribe Shine Light Reflection spray to give the hair a nice luster and shine. Lastly, I had Brooke flip her head upside down and I ran my hand throughout her hair and broke up the hair bringing much more life to the look. I then sealed the deal with Loreal Elnett hairspray and we were able to begin shooting!” – Hair Stylist Paul Norton for Tracey Mattingly, who has worked on celebrities including actresses Robin Wright, Brit Marling and Elizabeth Banks, among others.
HOW TO GET THE LOOK: MAKEUP
- Kevyn Aucoin – The Primed Skin Developer
- Kevyn Aucoin – The Sensual Skin Tinted Balm
- Make Up For Ever – Velvet Finish compact Powder 01
- Kevyn Aucoin – The Celestial Bronzing Veil
- Smashbox – Softlights Prism
- Diorshow Brow Styler – Universal Brown
- Piret & tamara – Eye Silk – seashell
- Merle Norman – Soft Touch Eye Pencil in Earthy
- Lorac Pro Eyeshadow palette – gold, sable, bronze & deep purple
- Kevyn Aucoin – Lash Curler
- DiorShow – Iconic Mascara in black
- Clé de Peau Beauté – Concealer – Ocher
- Chanel – Joues Contraste Powder Blush – Rose Orchid No. 15
- Ben Nye – DC Contour No1
- Kevyn Aucoin – Medium Neutra-Nude lip liner
- Elizabeth Arden – Beautiful Color Luminous Lipgloss
Check out more behind the scenes from Brooke’s cover shoot with New You magazine at www.NEWYOU.com.