Have you ever wondered how celebrities manage to achieve that perfect curl? Rumor has it their wavy ringlets are not the product of pins or curlers, but actually the result a few twists and flips of a flat iron. Although this technique seems to be pretty straight forward, there is indeed a specific method that must be applied in order to create this sought-after style.
Mario Russo, owner of Salon Mario Russo in Boston, which is known for their bouncy blowouts that incorporate this approach, shares his tips and trick in an easy-to-execute step-by-step guide to creating these coveted curls.
- 3” flat iron we use and recommend a 1″ flat iron
- 3 Hair clips for sectioning (Mario suggests duck clips to hold the hair in place)
- Flat iron protectant spray (Mario suggests Oribe Royal Blowout)
- Medium hold hair spray (Mario suggests Kerastase Double Force Hairspray)
- Finishing spray (Mario suggests Oribe Dry Texture Spray, which is great for taming any fly-aways without adding too much weight)
- Wash and condition your hair with a volumizing shampoo and condition such as Kerastase Volumactive Shampoo and Kerastase Volumactive Conditoner (these are great for adding volume)
- Blow dry your hair straight using a 1 1/2 to 2″ barrel ceramic ion round brush
- Lightly mist your hair with a heat protectant like Oribe Royal Blowout Flat Iron Protectant Spray
- Section your hair into three sections holding each in place with a clip
- Unclip the first section and take one 3” piece of hair, holding it out away from your face
- Place the flat iron so is it is vertical to your head and position it as close to the scalp as possible, then clamp down on the strand with your iron
- Quickly wrap the hair once around the iron then spin it 180 degrees away from your head in one smooth movement until the bottom of the strand is falling straight down (it’s important to know the slower the action the tighter the curl and the faster the action the looser the curl)…..bigger section, larger curl, smaller section, tighter curls.
- Then pull your iron down on your hair slowly towards your shoulder, stopping just short of the end of the strand
- Continue doing this with one piece of hair at a time
- Finish with a light mist of hair spray and a spritz of texturizing product like Oribe Dry Texture Spray
**For a sexier look, run your fingers from roots to ends to increase volume! For an alternative curl, place the iron horizontally turning it 180 degrees toward your head pulling towards you in one continuous movement. This creates a curl with root drag for a more natural look. For a less structured look, try alternating the two methods then combing your locks gently with your fingers to break them up.