Ashley Madison sinks to an all new low (if that’s possible)

For the last several years I’ve been approached by Ashley Madison to help them promote their website. I’ve always turned them down immediately – telling them I would NEVER support a company who’s goal is to get married people to cheat. They actually MAKE MONEY off cheating spouses. No thank you, I will have nothing to do with this.

Ashley Madison is a “married dating service for discreet encounters”. Like I said, vile. The “dating” site helps connect married or “attached” individuals for the soul purpose of having an affair.

The site may have sunk to an all new low, if that’s even possible, by showing a plus-sized woman, and stating, “Did your wife SCARE you last night?”. So if your wife is fat…. cheat! In the second ad, they go even further stating Skinny = Good, Fat = Bad.

“We call it as we see it”.

The ad tagline: “We call it as we see it.”

The two ads alone, with their blatant insulting and rejection of overweight individuals in favor of an unrealistic physical ideal, would be bad enough. But what irks us even more is that after the first ad came out, the overweight model in question spoke out against the ads and requested that Ashley Madison not present her photo that way.

Model Jacqueline, who runs a BBW (“Big Beautiful Woman”) website called JuicyJackie.com, wrote a first-person essay for Jezebel.com, defending her body and condemning Ashley Madison’s treatment of it:

I am a size 32. I am beautiful. I think women of all sizes are beautiful. Beauty is not and has never been one-size-fits-all. I do not appreciate my image being used, without notice or permission, to tell women I have never met otherwise.
Not only is it personally offensive, Jacqueline wrote, but it sends the wrong message to viewers, particularly those who are overweight themselves:

As has been widely reported, teens are committing suicide in shocking numbers all over the world as direct result of this sort of shaming ridicule. Be it directed at race, size, sexual orientation or anything, bullying is a vicious force in this world. Contributing to this widespread and creeping depression by suggesting, blatantly and without pretense, that fat people are patently undeserving of love and loyalty is repulsive. It is incumbent upon advertisers, and society at large, to act responsibly before foisting something like this onto the world.

Ashley Madison’s response to Jacqueline’s reasonable request last week?

“The best thing that could’ve happened to this woman is that we used her in our ad. […] if she can get great publicity from this, all the power to her,” the site’s CEO told Jezebel.

And then they released the second ad today.

Are you as offended as I am?

Source

Comments

Comments

November 8th, 2011 at 11:25 pm

OMG!!! WTF is wrong with these ignorant people??? :( It definitely is insulting. Not only are they sending the wrong message (encouraging adultery), they are also offending a lot of people! I think they are only doing this just to get attention, but it’s just PLAIN RUDE!!!

November 9th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

don’t you think you’ve just given them a nice spotlight on your website? you state you would never support such a company but I see ad for free here… though hey, at least you’ve showed your point of view!

November 9th, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I’m not in favor of this ‘service’ or website, but, OMG the fat girl is disgusting. It makes me sick just looking at the add. And I’m sorry, but fat is gross and UNHEALTHY. If I was a guy, and she was my wife, I would get her a membership to the gym and a lifetime supply to jenny craig for Christmas. ew

November 10th, 2011 at 6:07 am

“Ashley” who commented here yesterday: I think you have some growing up to do, calling fat people gross. Wow, get a life. Losing weight to be healthy is one thing, losing weight to fit into your view of what isn’t “gross” looking is another. Keep your cheap shots to yourself.

And yeah, Jocelyn, AM is being pretty cruel. Their response to the model’s press statement makes their attitude pretty clear. I find it hard to believe that the large model cannot sue them for use of her own image, from her website business. People who fall for this kind of ad don’t really deserve to be in a relationship to begin with (or the partners they are with).

The most offensive thing about this company to me, however, is that they share my name. Shameful…

November 11th, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I don’t have any more groing up to do, I am pretty grown up. However, you cannot argue the fact that the woman looks absolutely disguisting. And if you think she doesn’t, then there is something wrong with you. Or you, yourself are fat and trying to justify your unatractiveness.

November 11th, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Actually, “Ashley”, you do have growing up to do. Calling people “gross” because of their appearance–any appearance, is pretty nasty behavior. It’s pretty childish to try to justify that.

I used to be overweight, caused by a medical illness. Due to that same illness, I’m currently very thin. I’d love to be an average and healthy weight. I don’t think either way deserves disrespect. What is so hard about treating people with kindess? Would you have called me “gross” when I was overweight? Would you call me “gross” now?

I think you have some issues, hon.

November 13th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

First poster Ashley – Let me give you the run down as to why you’re a moron: You’re here on a grown-up forum to discuss the morality and social acceptability of a service that not only aids marital infidelity but justifies it if one’s partner is overweight, or in your words – gross – and your response to this is “Ew, fat is uggie!” Really? That’s what you’re bringing to the table here? And if that wasn’t immature and moronic enough, you follow it with presenting your opinion as if it’s fact, no doubt with hopes that others who are as shallow and stupid as you will agree and come to your aid. “However, you cannot argue the fact that the woman looks absolutely disguisting.” That’s not a fact. That’s an opinion. You need a dictionary and a 5th grade education. May I suggest that Jeff Foxworthy game show?

I’m just saying!

April 2nd, 2012 at 3:14 pm

“Sephy” icouldnt agree more!