Procter & Gamble Recalls 10 Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color Shades

If you use Clairol Natural Instincts to dye your hair – take notice! Proctor & Gamble has recalled 10 shades of Clairol Natural Instincts.

According to Stylist the company was alerted in late March that something went awry with their popular hair color line. Someone who had used the product contacted P&G after they experienced an unwanted color result, spokesman Brent Miller told StyleList.

After investigating the claims, P&G discovered that the ColorFresh! Revitalizer — a refresher that is applied two weeks after the initial color to enhance the hair’s tone — was mismatched in 10 Natural Instincts hair color kits.

The shades recalled include:
• Natural Instincts Shade 16 Light Auburn (Spiced Tea)
• Natural Instincts Shade 35 Brown Black (Ebony Mocha)
• Natural Instincts Creme Shade 03G Light Golden Blonde (Honey Creme)
• Natural Instincts Creme Shade 7.5 Dark Blonde (Maple Creme)
• Natural Instincts Creme Shade 21G Medium Golden Brown (Caramel Creme)
• Natural Instincts Creme Shade 23R Medium Auburn (Raspberry Creme)
• Natural Instincts Creme Shade 30R Dark Auburn (Cherry Creme)
• Natural Instincts Creme Shade 31 Darkest Brown (Coffee Creme)
• Natural Instincts Vibrant Shade 9 Natural Light Blonde (Blonde Vibrance)
• Natural Instincts Vibrant Shade 10 Extra Light Blonde (Sun-Kissed Blonde)

However, P&G confirms that the hair color in the kit is correct and anyone who has purchased any of the products with the aforementioned shades is urged to toss it.

But don’t worry that you’re throwing away hard-earned dollars in the trash. The company is stepping up to the plate and issuing refunds and providing color correction services.

“The quality of our products and satisfaction of the women who use them is our top priority,” Miller told StyleList. “P&G corrected the issue and will have product back on the shelf in May 2011.”

Head over to www.clairol.com/alert for more details.

Comments

Comments

June 10th, 2011 at 8:20 am

After going to and phoning 6 different drug stores in Canada I was told they didn’t know or that my Clairol Instinct color had been discontinued. I phoned Clairol and they said to use an alternate color. Spent time looking for THAT one and it’s not on the shelves either. I understand there’s a recall, but I requested a coupon from Clairol (I use so many of their products) and have not received a reply. As regards the Refresher, I don’t use it, to me it doesn’t “Refresh” and leaves my hair dull and “sticky”. They said it would be back on Shelves in May…….It’s June and still not here.

July 7th, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I am very upset that I cannot find Clairol Naturzl Instincts Loving Care Non Permanent Color 76 Light Golden BRown I have searched stores in Texas and Arkansas I liked this product because it did not have peroxide in it and it really worked for me! What to do???
I even went to the Dollar Store to see if they had an old product
Please advise as to where I can get this Walmart does not carry it!!!

October 3rd, 2011 at 8:40 am

Hi from Canada
I recently used Clairol 10 – Dark Cool Blonde
Unfortunately, it was a too light shade and made no difference to my hair.
2 weeks later (I dont usually use after colour treatments) I thought I would use the refresher sachet. I was shocked to see that it was YELLOW… well, I used it anyway and it did NOTHING. I have a photo of the yellow cream on my hair. I also did not kow there was a problem with Clairol Natural Instincts – hidden secret or ???
It’s not like this is cheap! I, for once, will be spreading the word!

October 4th, 2011 at 9:00 am

Was very unhappy with the clairol natural instinct. light brown “refresh your color packet” It turned my hair somewhat red and I had to wash it and wash it to get it back to the right shade. I love that the natural instinct color that I use has the “brass free” in it, but will never use the Refresher color packet again…..
Sincerely, Alice Pitts
2519 Barcroft Court
Fort Wayne, Indiana 46804

January 19th, 2012 at 9:48 am

I have been using clairol natural instincts for years but since you changed it I do not like it at all. I use black and it doesn’t even cover the gray it turns the gray dark red. Also their is not enough in the bottle to cover longer hair. I am not the only one with this problem so I will be changing to another product. Sorry that you changed it.

February 18th, 2012 at 5:11 am

Hey gals, I’m a guy with some grey that also used the “refresher packet” and awoke to the orange hair syndrome. Now I don’t know what to do. I’ve bought another brand and will be attempting to get some of this orange out before I use it but there’s no way I can leave my house like this. The product hasn’t been repaired. I liked the original color I got after using the product but the refresher ruined a good thing.

November 19th, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I have been using Natural Instinct for years and have always gotten compliments on my hair. Now the color that I use is nowhere to be found in the Orlando area. Tried another product right before an interview. Went with hair that in the light had a lovely shade of green. Please get the product back on the shelves!!!!!!