I colored my hair last week, and I love it so much, I never want it to fade! So how do I keep the color longer? Here are some tips from SheKnows!
1. Wait a few days after your last shampoo before heading to the salon. Natural oils on your scalp (that you wash away when you shampoo) help color penetrate hair follicles. Waiting a day or two after your last shampoo before you apply color also helps protect your scalp from irritation — which can happen if you have sensitive skin.
2. Go as long as you can without shampooing after color is applied, too. This gives tresses time to absorb color completely. If you wash your hair too soon, any color that hasn’t been absorbed yet goes down the drain (literally). And that means your color will fade sooner than if you’d waited.
3. Your color fades slightly with every shampoo, in part because of the sulfates some shampoos contain. Aim to wash your hair every other day — less often, if you can.
4. Opt for a shampoo and conditioner formulated for color-treated hair, which help protect it from the sun and pollutants that can cause premature fading. Some also help boost your hue temporarily by depositing just enough color to revive your shade. Avoid shampoo and conditioner that contain sulfates or sodium chloride, which can break down and fade color. Take a look at our picks for the best products for color treated hair.
5. Hair treatments involving chemicals, such as perms, relaxers and straighteners, can wreak havoc on your brand new hue. They can dry out your hair (a no-no if you want color to last), alter your color and speed the fading process.
6. When you’re in the shower or rinsing your hair, avoid very hot water; it has a tendency to strip your hair and dry it out. If you can stand it, rinse your hair with cold water once before getting out of the shower. This helps close the cuticle and makes your hair smooth and glossy — plus, you won’t need coffee to wake you up!
7. Moisturized hair maintains color a lot longer than dry, brittle hair. Minimize your use of of blow dryers, flat irons and curling irons to help keep hair from drying out. Deep condition your hair once a week for added hydration. Soften hair with these deep conditioning secrets.