Sean “Diddy” Combs may have a hit with his latest fragrance, I Am King (it sold out in 16 minutes on HSN last week) but he has yet to rule the celebrity fragrance market here in America.
According to the research whizzes over at Chicago-headquartered Euromonitor International, the venerable Liz Taylor still leads the pack in U.S. fragrance sales, bagging $67.2 million in 2008 for her White Diamonds scent, first released in 1991 by Elizabeth Arden. (Diddy trailed Taylor by nearly $20 million, with 2008 sales of $48.5 million.)
Other scent-sations include Sarah Jessica Parker’s Lovely, Derek Jeter Driven and Glo by J.Lo. Any surprises? Well, the polarizing Celine Dion ranked third, inching out SJP by a little less than $1 million. And, somewhat puzzlingly, Antonio Banderas made the cologne cut, too.
1. Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds –$67.2 million
2. Sean John Unforgivable — $48.5 million
3. Celine Dion — $26.4 million
4. Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker — $25.7 million
5. Derek Jeter Driven — $24.1 million
6. Diavolo by Antonio Banderas — $18.8 million
7. Glo by J.Lo — 18.5
8. Curious by Britney Spears — $14.3
9. Fantasy by Britney Spears — $10.1 million